Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Desperado

As Jesus was saying this, the leader of a synagogue came and knelt down before him. "My daughter has just died," he said, "but you can bring her back to life again if you just come and lay your hand upon her." Matt 9:18

“As Jesus and the disciples were going to the official's home, a woman who had had a hemorrhage for twelve years came up behind him. She touched the fringe of his robe, for she thought, "If I can just touch his robe, I will be healed." Jesus turned around and said to her, "Daughter, be encouraged! Your faith has made you well." And the woman was healed at that moment.” Matt. 9:19-21

"Do you believe that I am able to do this?" They said* to Him, "Yes, Lord." 29 Then He touched their eyes, saying, "It shall be done to you according to your faith." Matt. 9:27

“Jesus traveled through all the cities and villages of that area, teaching in the synagogues and announcing the Good News about the Kingdom. And wherever he went, he healed people of every sort of disease and illness. He felt great pity for the crowds that came, because their problems were so great and they didn't know where to go for help.” Matt. 9:35-36

I love this section of the Bible. It gives me so much hope! In this passage, different people with different situations are mentioned.

1. A man with a dead daughter
2. A woman bleeding for 12 years
3. A couple of blind men

Even though they and their situations were different, they all had a very important combination in common. Hurt mixed with desire mixed with faith. When a person recognizes their pain and becomes desperate for healing and truly believes that God can heal them-watch out!

I know I asked this yesterday, but I ask again, “Do you recognize your wound?” Have you said to God, “Yes it did happen, it did hurt, it still hurts?” Have you named the wound specifically? It was an affair! It was physical abuse! It was controlling! It was a lie! It was betrayal! It was abandonment! Have you been specific? Have you named it? This is important. I must not minimize it. I must recognize it for what it was and is.

Then I must get desperate--Desperate for God to change my situation. Desperate to get to Him at all costs. No matter what anyone else thinks or believes. No matter how foolish I may seem. I will do anything He says and go through any process He lays out. I’m just plain fed up. I can’t take life like this any more. I’m not going to just settle. I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired. You get my drift-desperate!

Above all, I must believe that God can help me. One of the biggest setbacks to healing is a disbelief that we CAN be really healed. All of us struggle with belief at times. Maybe we should be like the man who said to Jesus, “I believe, I believe, please help my unbelief! I connect with that.

Hurt, Desperation, and Faith a powerful combination!

Ok, I believe he can, but does he want to? This is the coolest part for me. The scripture above says that everywhere he went, he healed. Why? Just because He could? It says He saw the crowds and had compassion for them. He knew they had no where else to go. He knew that He was their only hope. This is one of the things I love most about Jesus. Beyond the fact that he “can” help me is the truth that he “cares” about me. It’s not just for someone else, it’s for me!

He saw what happened. He knows it hurt. I believe He hurts with us and graciously waits for us to turn to Him. He is not going to force this upon us. We must choose this. But we must put our faith only in Him. This means we have to drop our coping mechanisms and trust in Him alone.

Are you becoming more aware of your wound? Are you just about ready? Do you truly believe? If so, get ready for Jesus to do His thing!

Father,
Help me! I need you so badly today! I have no where else to go. You are my only hope. If I could only touch you-If you will only touch me, I will be healed and this pain will be over. I pray in Jesus name.
Amen.

Today I leave you with the words of that great theologian, Don Henley of the Eagles:

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?
You been out ridin' fences for so long now
Oh, you're a hard oneI know that you got your reasons
These things that are pleasin' youCan hurt you somehow

Desperado, oh, you ain't gettin' no younger
Your pain and your hunger,
they're drivin' you home
And freedom, oh freedom well, that's just some people talkin
'Your prison is walking through this world all alone

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?
Come down from your fences,
open the gate It may be rainin',
but there's a rainbow above you
You better let somebody love you
(let sombody love you)
You better let somebody love you
before it's too late

No comments: