Thursday, August 03, 2006

for those who have been hurt

Wounds are a part of life. They are going to happen. Abuse, divorce, betrayal, misunderstanding, abandonment, criticism, failure. We experience self inflicted wounds and wounds from others. The truth is that we will all eventually wound others and be wounded. It it also true that the deepest wounds in life can come from those we love and trust the most. The question is, “Is there hope? Can my wounds ever really heal?” Can I ever really be free? Can someone I have hurt ever forgive me? Will God forgive me?The answer is a resounding yes! Our bodies and our hearts were created by God to heal. He has designed us with an amazing ability to recover and expand as “whole” human beings through His process of being forgiven, healing, and then forgiving others.
But there are some wounds that run deep. There are wounds that go down and touch the innermost parts of who I am-my identity. These kinds of injuries are normally not inflicted upon us by strangers, but by those we know and love. People like fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, close friends, bosses, even or especially spouses. These kinds of wounds require attention and care. They don’t just go away. These are wounds that leave scars and they require a healing process. They also involve help from others. Most importantly, they require the healing that comes from a loving God who understands us and cares for us deeply-more deeply that our deepest wounds. Do you have any wounds?If you are like the rest of us you have had your share. Have they healed? Are you doing like so many of us-just pressing on as if you can handle it. “I’ll be alright” you say, or “That was so long ago, it’s not affecting me now.” I’ll let you in on a secret that I have learned (am learning ) the hard way. The past lives again in the present if it hasn’t been healed. This is an unfortunate fact of life. But there is hope.

God’s forgiveness is a healing balm that flows over the willing and receptive heart. But “flow” is the key word. I must be willing to walk in forgiveness in order for His forgiveness to keep flowing over me and through me.

For those who have been hurt I promise some great news: You can recover even better than before!

Join us this month as we talk about FORGIVENESS-the real “f” word.

Chris

No comments: