Thursday, October 19, 2006

hate my job!

“For promotion and power come from nowhere on earth, but only from God” Ps. 75:6

All too often people dread their work. Most people are not doing work they dreamed of or feel is satisfying. Some even hate their job. Many look forward to the weekend when they can escape into recreation and other activities.

With Christ truly at the center of our lives, He makes a significant impact on our work environment. For those who can adopt a fresh mindset, their work can become an outpost for the advancement of the Kingdom. New significance can be discovered in what was “just a job”. Jesus can turn our job into a place where He intersects the lives of those we work with. I can look forward to my day anticipating what God might do at work.

“Servants, do what you're told by your earthly masters. And don't just do the minimum that will get you by. Do your best. Work from the heart for your real Master, for God, confident that you'll get paid in full when you come into your inheritance. Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you're serving is Christ. The sullen servant who does shoddy work will be held responsible. Being Christian doesn't cover up bad work.” Col. 3:22-25 (MSG)

My work day is an assignment from Jesus to display His character to the people around me. My authentic faith impacts my work ethic and inspires me to give an effort that is my best. As I quietly and consistently do my job (no matter what kind of job it may be) with excellence, others appreciate my effort and notice something different in my life.

Any employer will tell you that good help is hard to find. Many are watching the clock-finding ways to do as little as they can. They discover the minimum required and they do it. When someone pours their heart into their work they can easily stand out and are often rewarded or promoted by their employer.

For the Christ-follower, there is an extra source of power to tap into. We can allow Him to watch us while we work. We can feel His approval on our effort. Energy and attitude are available to me as I look to Him while I work. We can offer it to Him as worship. He will receive it and transform it into something that honors His Father and impacts the lives of others. Even in writing this blog right now I hope that my work is pleasing to God. I offer it to Him as worship. I am doing my best. I am pouring my heart into it and expecting Him to use it to impact you.

At work we earn more than a paycheck. Through hard work, we earn the right to honor our King and share with others His life-inspiring power. God says that He has an incentive package designed for His worker that is out of this world. One day (no matter if my earthly boss does or not) my ultimate boss will reward me for my effort.

May you work for Him today!
May you feel His blessing on you throughout your day!
May your work be appreciated and rewarded by both of your bosses!

Chris

No comments: