Monday, August 25, 2008

More is for me?


Three days ago, I received a check for $350 dollars. It was extra money that came in from an unusual source. I immediately thought about what I would do with my money. I have some debt that I’m aggresively paying off and I thought for sure that was what it would go to. Then I was also reminded of some financial challenges at the church. Then the wrestling match in my heart began. Do you ever have this happen to you? Do you ever have any extra money come to you? Is the extra always meant for you or does God sometimes want you to give to the cause of Christ? I also know of a single mom who is about to be laid off from her job for two weeks while the company does some end of summer repositioning. Is some of the money for her and her child?

I am learning that more is not always for me. I am learning that God provided it and He has plans for it. Sometimes it is for me and sometimes it is not. I must listen to His promptings in my spirit and live generously if I am going to be good at being rich.

Besides I think I will feel much more gratified by giving it to the Lord than spending it on my own self interests.

Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life. 1 Tim 6:17-19

No comments: