Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Too weak to love


Having taken on this project of planting and pastoring New Community Church, I have found out that love can be exhausting. It takes tremendous energy to keep on loving. Yet real love is lasting love. It is durable, strong and not easily abandoned.

Considering that half of all marriages end in divorce and countless friendships are discarded as quickly as yesterday’s clothes. The question is why? For many the answer is there is simply not enough strength. They do not have enough physical, emotional, and spiritual gas in the tank to make it through the difficult seasons of real love. Their landscape is littered with debris of relationships that have crashed and burned because they didn't know how to refuel their love so it could last.

One of the most loving things you can do for others is take care of yourself. That’s right. Take care of you! In order to make your love go the distance you have to be strong-and strong in every way.

Your physical condition has an impact on your ability to love. Tired, stressed people often fall short. When my physical body is out of shape or undernurished, I lack energy for those I need to love. When my emotional batteries are drained, I can be short and unloving or even detatched. When my spirit is empty and unrenewed, I can become self-focused and unloving. It takes God’s help to make love go the distance. There are too many challenges along love’s journey. God’s Spirit can infuse our spirit with power to press through barriers between us and the finish line.

Someone once told me, “It is not how you start, but how you finish”. I believe this now more than ever. I want finish love’s race having developed the strength to keep on loving those along my path until I get to the end.

Are you losing your strength? Do you want to know how to increase your energy reserves? Would you like to be able to respond to the needs of others with more vitality than you currently have? Attend NCC this weekend and hear the message, “Developing a love that lasts”.

No comments: