Tuesday, November 11, 2008

that's the way, uh-huh uh-huh, I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh

Today I took my son out to swing him and he began singing “that's the way, uh-huh uh-huh, I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh…” He had this big smile and he just kept singing it. I hated it! What’s up? I loved that song as a boy in the 70’s! KC & the Sunshine Band!!! Come on!! Ok. Let’s be honest. That song is about sex. Pure un-adulterated sex-(is that an oximoron)? My 4 year old son singing joyfully about sex? I asked, “where did you here that song”? “On TV”, he said. On TV? MY TV? WHEN? Later that day I heard it-a commercial with that song promoting a product in a subtle but sexual way. Love…does not rejoice in unrighteousness. My son unwittingly enjoying a song about sex? ENOUGH!!!!

Having children causes us to re-evaluate. How much trash is being downloaded into Sam’s brain (or mine) in very subtle ways? How much do we entertain ourselves with media that is impure? How much does that affect my ability to give and receive love? As I contemplate 1 Cor. 13 I am realizing that love does not enjoy evil. And to the degree that I allow evil (even unwittingly) into my life I am diminished in my capacity to love. I want Sam to grow up with a strong capacity to love. I want him to have a strong sense of what is good and what is evil.

When it comes to Sam I hate evil. Wow there it is…no wonder my Father hates evil and tells me to do the same.

Amos 5:15 (NIV) “Hate evil, love good...”

No comments: