Monday, January 30, 2006

just one day

Imagine with me a new reality show for TV. It is a show where cameras follow ordinary Christians (like you and me) around to highlight the authenticity of our faith as it is lived out in our homes and workplace environments. Viewers would have a statement at the bottom of the screen representing what we believe while they are entertained by watching how we live in comparison. (Yikes!) Maybe let’s not be so imaginative today.

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Romans 15:9

On a more real note, (no pun intended) I am seeking to live just one day (today) without being a hypocrite. Public and private the same. Beliefs and actions the same. A genuine faith lived out for an entire day. Impossible? Maybe.

Today I desire to love each person I come into contact with sincerely. I am going to try and walk as Jesus did, at a pace where I can pay attention to what is going on around me. I want to tell the truth in every situation. I want to truly care about people and be sensitive to God’s Spirit during each encounter. I want to look into eyes and hearts and pour into thirsty souls the life of God.

I choose not to allow anything evil into my life. I want to discipline my eyes and and my heart to look for what is good. Then I won’t have to pretend I’m good when maybe I’m not. I want to treat people with honor and respect. I want to put their good above my own. I do not want to use people in any way. I want to see the best and believe the best about others for just one full day. I want to be like Jesus.

Jesus’ life was always about people. He treated them with such sincerety and honor. His life was good and he called evil what it was when he saw it. He was devoted to His followers until the day He died. He was passionate about what God wanted Him to do. God wanted Him to show us what He had in mind when he created us. What God had in mind looks like Jesus.

The LORD is watching everywhere, keeping his eye on both the evil and the good. Proverbs 15:3 (NLT)

The LORD despises the way of the wicked, but he loves those who pursue godliness. Proverbs 15:9 (NLT)

Since God is watching me and I am aware of it, I choose to watch myself too. I want to monitor and regulate my personal hypocrisy today. I want to maintain an awareness of what I believe and then attempt to live it out in each situation as the day progresses. Maybe this could be the beginning of a new Christian reality show on TV. (What a disaster that could be.)

I wonder if you might join me in this pursuit. Could we all just become as real and like Jesus as possible for one day? Let’s offer our hearts to God completely and ask Him for strength to live amazing lives. Let’s live lives that make a difference for our families and friends. They need the real life of Jesus to shine through us and upon them. Let’s light up their lives and warm their hearts with the hope of the Gospel lived out in our lives.

The eyes of the LORD search the whole earth in order to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him. II Chron. 16:9

Keepin’ it real for one day,
Chris

No comments: