Friday, January 20, 2006

new song

When I was a little boy, my mom got me a 45 LP record player. It was yellow and closed up like a lunch box. I remember thinking it was the coolest thing on earth. (It was a little different than the slick MP3 player I’ve got now) I bought some new singles by the “Electric Light Orchestra” AKA “ELO”. There was one song that I played over and over. I think I wore the record out. These days I’m singing a new song.

"Sing joyfully to the LORD, you righteous; it is fitting for the upright to praise him. Praise the LORD with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre. Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy" Psalm 33:1–3.

When you think about God, what images or words come to mind?

Think about this for a moment. Don’t brush over this question too quickly. Whatever happens in your head in relationship to this question will determine the quality of your experience in worship.

"Cheer up…! Don't be afraid! 17 For the LORD your God has arrived to live among you. He is a mighty savior. He will rejoice over you with great gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will exult over you by singing a happy song." Zeph. 3:16-17

I think of One who is for me. Who loves me without fail. One who looks upon me with favor. The One who understands me better than me. The One who has compassion for me in my weakness. He knows the stuff I’m made of because He made the stuff I’m made of. When I think of God, I think of the One who knows everything I have ever done and will do. He utterly gets me. He knows my story. He has authored it.

This allows me to move with Him. Yes, I move with not against Him (I am trying anyway). He has a rythm and I’m feeling it. He has a beautiful song and I want to sing it. It is a new song that has a whole different feel than the music most are listening to. It is the song of the restored heart. Somehow, this song stays new and never gets old. New verses and dynamics make it continually fascinating to me. How can I keep from singing?

Will you sing with me? Will you sing out loud? This definitely is a song worth singing. God is worth it! We get our word worship from the word worth. Worship then is simply acknowledging how much God is worth to us. Let’s do it! Let’s do it now! Let’s do it forever! And let our heart be filled with absolute joy!

But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them sing joyful praises forever. Protect them, so all who love your name may be filled with joy. Psalm 5:11

Chris

No comments: