Tuesday, January 24, 2006

shine baby!

“Oh, magnify the LORD with me, And let us exalt His name together…those who look to the Lord are radiant” Ps. 34:3,5

A couple of weeks ago, Michelle and I were having dinner with some friends. I kept noticing that our friend Jerri’s face was glowing. Her countenance demanded my attention. Life was coming from her eyes that seemed to come from a true center. I finally had to make comment and we all celebrated the joy of her relationship with Christ as she shared how He had been showing Himself to her.

Her husband Kirk went out of the room for a moment and then came out with what looked like a business card. It had the scripture I mentioned above on it. It had been a continual prayer that he was praying for her during a time of trial in her life. She looked beautiful, radiant, like a bride!

As we talk about a fresh attitude toward worship, we need to recognize one of the great benefits-I get a facial! Do you know how much money is being spent by countless people trying to change or at least improve their faces? Cosmetics, creams, lotions, potions, face lifts, chin tucks, you name it.

Well, I’m here to tell you that God is in the business of changing faces. A vibrant, shining face is the result for someone who has been with God in worship.

Think of Moses (Exodus 34) when he had been with God for an extended time. He had to cover his face because it shone so brightly with God’s radiance.

Steven, (Acts 6-7) caught a glimpse of the eternal, and his face glowed like that of an angel.

Jesus, in a moment of pure worship, encountered God and “his face became bright like the sun” (Matt 17).

Max Lucado writes “God invites us to see His face so He can change ours”. I love that! Our face is the most seen and recognizable part of our bodies. Our face says so much about our life. God wants to take our face and make a statement! He wants my face to say how good he is. My pie hole becomes a powerful apologetic and the greatest evidence of his existence. He wants to use my face to change the face of the world! Can others see God on your face?

So how do you make this happen? You need a magnifying glass. That’s right. You need to magnify the Lord. He must be seen for how big, how awesome, how amazing He really is. You might say, “I’ve got big problems!” Yes, and I bet your face reflects it too. In fact, you face is reflecting whatever you are magnifying. Do you see God as being bigger than your problems?

I want you to join me this year in magnifying our great God! Let’s all get the ultimate face lift. Let’s brighten up our world with the life of Jesus pouring out of our eyes. If the eye is the window to the soul, then I want people to look into my eyes and see God. Oh God! I can’t believe you are letting me live this life!

All of us! Nothing between us and God, our faces shining with the brightness of his face. And so we are transfigured much like the Messiah, our lives gradually becoming brighter and more beautiful as God enters our lives and we become like him. 2 Corinthians 3:18 (MSG)

O soul, are you weary and troubled?No light in the darkness you see?There’s a light for a look at the Savior,And life more abundant and free!
Turn your eyes upon Jesus,Look full in His wonderful face,And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,In the light of His glory and grace

"The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you, And give you peace." ' Numbers 6:24-26 (NKJV)

Shine baby!
Chris

No comments: