Monday, March 13, 2006

combat kindness

Some people believe they should use brutality and cruelty to bring about submission to what they perceive is the will of God. They chop off heads, blow up cars and buildings. Often, in the name of God, even women and children lose their lives at the hands of these radical believers.

Is this how God desires to spread His will? The God I know used a far more persuasive means to establish Himself in my life. I have discovered that God has a totally opposite combat strategy to subdue His enemies than the one mentioned above.

"I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. Jeremiah 31:3 (NIV)

This is one of my favorite scriptures of all time. I have returned to it over and over. King David said, "Because Your loving-kindness is better than life, my lips shall praise You." Ps. 63:3
God’s loving-kindness is powerful. It attracts us and changes us. I used to be such a different person than I am today. Sexual promiscuity, drug abuse, and crime were a lifestyle for five years of my life. Then God’s kindness appeared and has been the difference for me.

“But then God our Savior showed us his kindness and love. He saved us, not because of the good things we did, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins and gave us a new life through the Holy Spirit. He generously poured out the Spirit upon us because of what Jesus Christ our Savior did”. Titus 3:4-6

It was the fact that he offered me this kindness “while I was an enemy” to everything He is that blew me away! He met me at my lowest point and chose not to condemn me but showed me mercy and grace. Mercy in that He didn’t punish me and Grace in that He gave me the opposite of what I deserved. He gave me a brand new life!

I remember as if it were yesterday being on my knees asking God for a fresh start. I felt as if I had blown it so badly that there was no hope for me. I told God that if He would make me a new person that I would give that new person to Him to do whatever He wanted for the rest of my life. He did it! He made me a new person in Christ. The old has gone and everything is becoming so new.

If that were not enough, beyond that He gave me His Holy Spirit to be inside of me for the rest of my life. God’s Spirit is producing this amazing loving-kindness in me. He is turning me into someone who is armed and dangerous to the kingdom of cruelty and hatred. I have a secret weapon that melts the hardest of hearts. God’s Kindness!

I recommend that you use it on your enemies today! It can be quite persuasive.

Chris

"Love your enemies! Do good to them! Lend to them! And don't be concerned that they might not repay. Then your reward from heaven will be very great, and you will truly be acting as children of the Most High, for he is kind to the unthankful and to those who are wicked. You must be compassionate, just as your Father is compassionate. Luke 6:35-36

No comments: