Monday, March 27, 2006

little things

Have you ever thought you would like God to give you more? Would you like to have greater opportunities? Maybe a promotion? Or a raise in your pay? Possibly a new home or bigger apartment? According to Jesus, it is in the little things that we show how much blessing from God we can handle.

"Unless you are faithful in small matters, you won't be faithful in large ones. If you cheat even a little, you won't be honest with greater responsibilities. And if you are untrustworthy about worldly wealth, who will trust you with the true riches of heaven? And if you are not faithful with other people's money, why should you be trusted with money of your own? Luke 16:10-12

Since being found faithful is God’s heart for us, and He is seeking to fuse it into our character, how do we cooperate with Him and develop faithfulness?

Maybe we should start with some things we might be overlooking. What are the “small matters” in your life? Do you get up and go to work on time each day? Do you put in an honest day’s work when you get there? Do you consciously seek to do those things that make your employer money? I believe that God blesses those who honor their employers with a hard-working attitude and truly seek to be a profitable employee.

Another area we might tend to overlook is in how we spend the money we do have? Are we thinking this through? Are we considering what it means to be faithful with what God has currently entrusted to us? The Bible says that all we have really belongs to God and that it is given to us as a trust.

“Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful.” I Cor. 4:2

It might be that God is considering how we are using the resources we currently possess before He entrusts more to us. How am I caring for the place I live in now? Am I using it for Him?

Another part of developing the faithful character of God is in being generous. Listen to Jesus: “If you give, you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full measure, pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, and running over. Whatever measure you use in giving—large or small—it will be used to measure what is given back to you.” Luke 6:38

If I am faithful to give, them God is faithful to bless me in the giving. So am I setting aside a percentage of my income to intentionally be generous? Do I regularly contribute to the cause of Christ through my church? Am I faithful to help shoulder the tremendous financial burdens that are represented in my church family? Churches need faithful givers who can be depended on. The vision and mission of any church cannot be realized apart from the people of that body bringing their gifts and offering them in gratitude to a faithful God.

Which brings me to one more aspect of faithfulness-- Gratitude.

Am I truly thankful to God for what He has given to me? It may seem like a small thing to say thanks, but I believe it brings a big result. I believe that our Father recognizes and rewards a thankful heart. Have you thanked Him for your job lately? Have you said thank you to God for what resources you do have? Or have you taken Him for granted? I have been guilty of this.

Let’s pray together now and thank Him. “Father, thank you for the way you have provided for us. Help us to recognize your generosity and appreciate it. You are so faithful to us. We have so much to be thankful for. Please help us to be faithful. And as you develop faithful character in us, we ask that you would bless us with more so we can be even more generous.” Amen

Faithfully yours,
Chris

No comments: