Wednesday, March 01, 2006

financial peace

Have you ever been laid off or let go from a job? Or maybe your income was suddenly threatened by a circumstance out of your control? Times like that can really rob you of your sense of security. It is in moments like these that you are reminded of just how uncertain this world’s sources of income and financial security can be. I have had that happen in the past and in fact, was told yesterday that the church could not make rent and payroll. I have not allowed this to produce anxiety in me as I have in the past. I am simply reminding myself of the truth. Bear with me this morning as I remind my own heart of the truth and experience God’s peace in the midst of financial uncertainty.

Let me go through my financial peace check list:

What does Jesus (the one I’m supposed to be trusting in) say about money? DON”T WORRY ABOUT IT!

I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?...your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matt. 6:25, 33-34

Good. I’m glad I got that worry thing out of the way. I’ll just make sure to keep God first in my life.

What does God say I am supposed to be doing with the money He entrusts to me? BE GENEROUS AND GIVE IT!

If you give, you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full measure, pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, and running over. Whatever measure you use in giving—large or small—it will be used to measure what is given back to you." Luke 6:38

Have I been giving faithfully? Yes. Tithe 10%? Yes. Giving offerings and being generous in other ways? Yes. OK.-Got that financial obedience thing going.

I’m still a little nervous though. I think I will meditate in this passage for a while now…

All goes well for those who are generous, who lend freely and conduct their business fairly. Such people will not be overcome by evil circumstances. Those who are righteous will be long remembered. They do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the LORD to care for them. They are confident and fearless and can face their foes triumphantly. They give generously to those in need. Their good deeds will never be forgotten. They will have influence and honor. Ps. 112:5-9

There we go. I think I have almost abolished all worry and anxiety and replaced it with God’s peace. Where does His peace come from? It comes from the foundation of trust we have built in our relationship over the years. If he tells me to be generous and I obey Him, then I need not fear financial bad news. I can confidently trust the Lord to care of Sam and Michelle and me. Do I know what is going to happen next financially? Not exactly. Can I trust God? Absolutely. He says that I will not be overcome by “evil circumstances”.

Do you have financial peace today? Are you learning how to honor God and trust Him for peace and security in your finances? Give generously and you can experience “peace that surpasses human understanding”.

Trusting Him,
Chris

No comments: