Monday, February 27, 2006

trust issues

You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, whose thoughts are fixed on you! Trust in the LORD always, for the LORD GOD is the eternal Rock. Isa. 26:3-4

There is nothing like broken trust to rob us of our peace. Do you have trust issues? Have people in your past not come through for you? Did someone break their promise and in turn break your heart? I have had many people break faith with me. I have broken trust at times in my life as well. If you think about it, trust is at the foundation of every relationship. In fact, love is impossible without trust. I have seen many relationships disintegrate and never come back together because trust was lost and never rebuilt.

My relationship with God begins on a foundation of trust. I trust His message that Jesus was His Son and that He sent Him to die for me on the cross and that God raised Him from the dead. I trust that as I put my faith in Jesus he forgives all my sin and gives me eternal life. “Therefore, since we have been made right in God's sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us.” Rom 5:1 This gives me tremendous comfort to know that by faith I have made peace with God.

I begin to trust other messages from Him about my life and we continue to build our foundation of trust.

I was twenty eight years old when I married Michelle. I waited and trusted God for a good wife for five years after I met Jesus. I felt that He had me waiting for a long time but I continued to trust Him. I met a couple of viable options before Michelle and at times thought they might be right for me but God gave me no peace at all about those girls. Then I met Michelle. I knew on our first date that she was who I had been waiting for all my life. I prayed that God would allow me the privilege of having such a good woman for my wife. A great peace came over my heart and of course God said yes because it was His will. Looking back I now can see why He made me wait. I was not ready for her. He needed to do some things in me before we could be healthy as a couple. I can see that He was trustworthy to bring me the right person at the right time.

I have learned to trust Him at His word about money, authority, depression, hurtful people, and many other important things. What I am saying is I have found God to be trustworthy. If His word says it, it is true. He is a mighty rock upon which I can build my life. His word is certain. He will make His word come to pass. "…I am watching over My word to perform it." Jer. 1:12

What I am saying is that I believe that I can trust God completely. I am not saying that I always do perfectly and completely trust him. That would not be true. But I am saying that there is such a solid foundation that He has proven to be so true that I continue to place my heart in His hands. As a result I am experiencing His peace more and more. His peace is basically ruling my heart. “let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts.” Col. 3:15 He is making more and more calls, and I am believing Him more and more. He is my rock and I intend to trust Him for the rest of my journey.

May you trust in Him today,
Chris

I leave you with a song of David who also learned to trust God…
These are the words he sang: "The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the strength of my salvation, and my stronghold, my high tower, my savior, the one who saves me from violence. I will call on the LORD, who is worthy of praise, for he saves me from my enemies.
2 Sam. 22:2-4

No comments: