Friday, February 03, 2006

eating for life

“For my flesh is the true food, and my blood is the true drink. All who eat my flesh and drink my blood remain in me, and I in them. I live by the power of the living Father who sent me; in the same way, those who partake of me will live because of me. I am the true bread from heaven.” John 6:56-58

I am reading a book right now entitled “Eating for Life”. In the book, author Bill Phillips unveils what he calls the “big fat problem”. He says the number of obese children has quadrupled and adults doubled over the last few decades. The reason he says is because the food industry spends $15 billion a year on food advertising alone—encouraging and enticing you to overeat the wrong foods, which do little or nothing to nourish your health. In fact, these foods have been proven to feed frustration and stress, and build up loads of body fat which will kill you. He says, “Most people are eating for death”.

Michelle and I are trying to learn how to eat healthier. It is not easy. You have to learn about food. You have to read nutrition facts. You also have to think about food differently. Above everything else, you have to have a strong desire to live.

Everywhere we look today we see products supposedly designed to make us feel better, give us energy, make us burn fat, make us look younger, make us feel great, ect…on and on. Last night I saw a classic, drink Miller beer and you will live the “High Life”. Remember what Jesus said yesterday: “But you shouldn't be so concerned about perishable things like food. Spend your energy seeking the eternal life that I, the Son of Man, can give you. For God the Father has sent me for that very purpose.” John 6:27

We have been talking about the life of God that is offered through His Son Jesus. I said yesterday that that life begins now and only a few ever really seem to find it. It is no secret among Christians that Jesus claimed to give life “in all its fullness”. Yet my experience as a pastor has shown me that few ever truly walk in it. Why is this? “The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give life in all its fullness.” John 10:10

The reason is we allow ourselves to be ripped off. Satan understands our natural weaknesses and desires. He addicts us to junk food that is high in calories and fat doing nothing to make us healthy and alive. He uses materialism, addictions, entertainment, and a whole range of other counterfeit food sources. We fill up on these things and not the true food.

Jesus said that we need a steady diet of Him. He says that he is true food and true drink.
Jesus uses His presence-His very life. Jesus speaks into our hearts words of life. “It is the Spirit who gives eternal life. Human effort accomplishes nothing. And the very words I have spoken to you are spirit and life.” John 6:63

There is more to be said about experiencing this life that Jesus gives, but at the foundation is a healthy diet. If I am not willing to eliminate junk food and eat Jesus each day, I will never really find this abundant life. I am talking about a sincere effort to eat right by praying often and regularly partaking of God’s word. If you won’t at least start by doing this, Jesus life will remain illusive and you will stagnate or entropy. You will exist but not really LIVE.

Listen once more to Jesus, "It takes more than bread to stay alive. It takes a steady stream of words from God's mouth." Jesus is the bread of heaven. He is the word made flesh. He is your real life. Are you eating right? By the way, our new diet requires that Michelle and I eat 6 times a day. Can you believe that?

Eating for life,
Chris

Join us this weekend for the new series:
God’s life-Is it in you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Read today and thought my diet