Thursday, March 23, 2006

someone who really is faithfull

When I was a little boy, my mom told me that I was adopted. They thought it was better that I would know as soon as possible. I have often wondered what happened to my biological parents. They told me that made me special. A few years later we found out that the pastor at the church we attended was molesting little girls. Not long after that my parents decided that they no longer could love each other and divorced. A couple of years after that, I find myself quitting school and adopting a hurtful lifestyle that broke both my parents’ hearts.

As a pastor, I have seen a lot of things in my life. I’ve seen incredible joy and intense heartache. I have held many beautiful babies in their first hours of life and I’ve beheld numerous lifeless bodies as I performed funerals. I have looked into the eyes of optimism and hope as lovely brides trust their hearts to another only later to sit in my office with the same witnessing hatred and anger in an enviroment of broken trust that leads to divorce. Yes, I have seen a lot of things in my life.

"Many will say they are loyal friends, but who can find one who is really faithful?" Prov. 20:6
In my experience in this world there is one thing that I have not seen a lot of-Faithfulness.
Many people make a lot of promises to each other. Many people break them. Things change, life’s circumstances challenge our word, and we do not find the character within us to hold true to our commitments. We are found unfaithful.

That is why I love God so much. I have found Him faithful.

The problem with us is that we have all had men lie to us. We’ve had people change their minds and not carry through on their promises to us. So sometimes we find it hard to trust in a supposed faithful God whom we have never seen.

God is not a man, that he should lie. He is not a human, that he should change his mind. Has he ever spoken and failed to act? Has he ever promised and not carried it through? Num. 23:19
When you think about it, at the foundation of every relationship is trust. Trust is what makes love possible. When trust is broken the relationship is eroded and feelings of love begin to slip away. I believe this is why God begins His relationship with us by making promises (covenants) to us.

I will never leave you...God is faithful and just to forgive...God is faithful and will provide a way of escape...I will send you a helper...hundreds and hundreds of promises are made to those who would believe in this God who is faithful.

Each person has to make discoveries about God’s faithfulness on their own. Yes we can hear the stories of others and believe but eventually we must build our own trust accounts with God. We must trust and allow Him to show His faithfulness. We must find out for ourselves that he is really faithful.

Over the next week and in our weekend services we are going to explore God’s character and make some new discoveries not only about Him, but also ourselves. I believe this could be a very impactful time for many.

Chris

Understand, therefore, that the LORD your God is indeed God. He is the faithful God who keeps his covenant for a thousand generations and constantly loves those who love him and obey his commands. Deut. 7:9

No comments: