Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Hidden Beauty

This morning I woke up and read this great passage.

“Christ's love makes the church whole. His words evoke her beauty. Everything he does and says is designed to bring the best out of her, dressing her in dazzling white silk, radiant with holiness.” Eph. 5:26- 27 Msg.

It is more than encouraging to me to know that I am part of Jesus’ church. She is so beautiful to me. When I think of all of the people that I have had the privilege of knowing and loving it brings tears to my eyes.

I love the church. Through it I have discovered who I am. Some people fail to see her beauty. They only look on the surface. The real attraction of the church is deep beneath the surface of her skin. It is mostly an emerging beauty blossoming like a flower in its season. Yes, there are times when she can seem dry and even lifeless, but don’t let that fool you. She is a radiant bride.

The key for her is the voice of Jesus. His words give His church life. They are words that reassure her heart-words that call her home when she wanders. Her true self emerges as Jesus speaks to her, calling out of her qualities and virtues not even she knows she has. When she listens to Him, she becomes vibrant. His words wash over her, cleansing her of all her dirt and filth. At the sound of His voice, her blemishes dissappear and the beauty of God radiates for all to see. One day we will see her in all her glory. But right now she has her moments. Moments of beauty, wonder and awe.

I believe that Jesus’ church is God’s joy and delight as well as His pain and agony. He laughs with her, cries with her, dances over her, and dies for her. There is nothing he won’t give her. The scriptures say that a woman is the glory of her husband. Then that means that the church is the radiant glory of God! He does amazing things through her. He loves the unlovely, heals the broken-hearted and spreads hope across the face of the earth like a fragrance. One day Jesus will come for His bride but until then she waits and listens.

I leave today you with a prayer:

“And I ask him that with both feet planted firmly on love, you'll be able to take in with all Christians the extravagant dimensions of Christ's love. Reach out and experience the breadth! Test its length! Plumb the depths! Rise to the heights! Live full lives, full in the fullness of God. God can do anything, you know— far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us. Glory to God in the church! Glory to God in the Messiah, in Jesus! Glory down all the generations! Glory through all millennia! Oh, yes!” Eph. 3:17-21 Msg. I love the church! I believe the best days for the church yet to come.

May Christ call out the best in you today!

Chris

No comments: