Tuesday, December 27, 2005

attitude

So then, as Christians, do you have any encouragement? Do you have any comfort from love? Do you have any spiritual relationships? Do you have any sympathy and compassion? Then fill me with joy by having the same attitude and the same love, living in harmony, and keeping one purpose in mind. Don't act out of selfish ambition or be conceited. Instead, humbly think of others as being better than yourselves. Don't be concerned only about your own interests, but also be concerned about the interests of others. Have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Phil. 2:1-5 (GWT)

Recently, I played golf with a man from back east. He had an infectous smile and he was with a group of about 7 other guys. I was paired up with them because I was by myself and their 2nd group needed a fourth player. There was an unusual energy among these men. I enjoyed being with them. As the afternoon progressed, we carried on a conversation that sparked quite a bit of reflection on my part. He was a successsful business man who had built his company from the ground up. He seemed so proud of the guys he was with as he descibed each one to me in great detail. He then told me that these men had all worked for him for years. He had just made it possible for them to buy the company from him. One man in the group was described to me as having an insurmountable attitude. He said to that you can overcome anything in life with the right attitude. I fully engaged him in this conversation on attitude and listened intently to him. He was obviously a well educated and experienced man but his opinion was that attitude was the single most important thing that made one successful in life. He went on to say that he wished that attitude was a required subjuct taught in school. His men looked at him with admiration and they seemed to give and receive energy back and forth between one another.

When I think about Jesus and his disciples, I see a man with an insurmountable attitude. His views on relationships, money, and a whole host of others issues are life altering. He was healthy and whole in his approach to life. Jesus had the attitude of an encourager. You could not be around him without being lifted to new hieghts. He was sympathatic in his attitude toward others and brought deep comfort to people who were in pain. His mind was focused on accomplishing God's purposes as he moved throughout each day. He humbly gave dignity to others by thinking of them before himself. His unselfish attitude is inspiring me to live a different way. A "new a living way"!

Growing up I was modeled some pretty negative attitude traits. I thought that I had overcome much of them but now I am seeing so much more attitude growth possible. In 2006 I am seeking to have the same attitude in me as Jesus. An insurmountable attitude! I want others to draw energy from my can do spirit. I want hope to so fill my heart that I cause others to believe God for a great future. I want to see everyone the way Jesus saw them-as valuable and filled with potential. I want see all that is good in people and endure with them through weakness and sin. I want to, not only become this kind of person, but also take others with me on the journey.
Remember this. You can overcome mistakes, ignorance, lack of resources or education, but you cannot overcome a bad attitude, it will defeat you every time. This year, will you join me as I seek to greatly improve my attitude to be more like that of Jesus? This is a choice we can make. I believe this is a journey worth taking and important that we take it together.

May you choose to have a great day!
Chris

New Weekend Series: "Fresh Attitude in "06"
Starts this weekend!

1 comment:

Sambi Katano said...

So Pastor Chris, what is it that I can do for you?