Thursday, December 29, 2005

if you knew

John 4:10 (NIV) "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."

This is an interesting discussion held between two very interesting people. The other day I was at Starbuck's having a cup of coffee and reading my latest book. I was thinking about our churches' finances and wondering how we could afford to begin a new location of worship. I had been there for a while when I noticed something interesting-a man looking at me. He said "you looked concerned, can I help?" I said that I doubted it but thanks. A few minutes later he got up politely and said "are you sure I can't help?" I shook my head no and said "thanks" again. I suddenly realized who he was as he dropped a business card and walked out. It was Bill Gates!

Ok. So I'm kidding!

I believe something greater than this happens every day for many of us. God has satisfying things for our hearts. He has "living water" for me to drink but do I even recognize that he is asking. Who has more resources, Bill or God? Who is more interesting? Who is more likely to be concerned and even ask if I need anything?

When Jesus spoke to the person in the sripture above, he was talking to a desperate woman who had tried a lot of options to satisfy that greatest of human needs. He spoke to her plainly. He speaks to us plainly.

If we know what he has and who he is-really is-then we can ask and he will give to us!

Let me ask you a question. Are you in need? I mean do you have desires? How are you seeking to fulfill them? What "well" do you seek to drink from? Do you know who is right next to you right now and is interested in your heart? If you knew...

Chris

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if anyone will read this comment, but I realized how true this is. I remembered when I was first walking with Jesus i used to go to a friend and complain about things and ask for advice. She would always tell me "Did you pray, did you talk to God about it?" I always thought that was a "church" answer. BUT that is the answer. How much does God really care about me and how much does He really what to provide an dprotect if I would just realize and talk to HIM, He would respond according to His will. If I would just understand...