Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Eager

Have you seen Cox communications commercial where a geek calls in for repair service and says, “last night I gave my number to three smokin’ hot ladies and not one call. What are the odds they all called at once and jammed up your system”? “One in a billion” the service man replies. “So your saying there is a chance…I guess it’s just a waiting game then” says the nerd.

Philippians 3:20 (NIV) 20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ,

Eagerly await? I was speaking today to a friend who is a grandma. Her new grandbaby lives in California. She misses the baby and she is having trouble sleeping lately because her daughter is coming this week for a visit with the baby. She awakens in the night in anxious anticipation of the baby’s arrival.

I know that in the case of the 2nd coming I’m no fool anxiously awaiting some highly unlikely event with odds totally against it happening but, I wonder what Paul had in mind when he said, “eagerly await”? When reading some of his other writings it seems as if he truly believed Jesus was about to return then. Of course 2000 some odd years have come and gone and no 2nd coming. How do I remain eager after so may years have passed? I want to believe me but I have lost some of my eagerness. I am asking God for a fresh awareness of His Son’s return and a new anticipation that return.

I asked my friend to describe how anxious she has been about her grandbaby and she said, “We talk about it all the time and we are keeping the house real clean”. I like that. I can talk about Jesus return more with my friends, I can read about it more in the Bible, I can visualize all that will happen for me then, and I can keep my house clean knowing His return gets nearer every day. I’m thinking about this more right now. How do I cultivate an eager desire to see the face of Jesus?

No comments: