Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Steal my own joy?

I am learning in a much deeper way that my own mind can be my greatest joy thief. Would you allow a thief to come into your home and stay? Why do so many of us allow thoughts that rob us of joy to persist in our minds when we can clearly choose to think differently?

The other day my wife and I sat before our day began and selected some “home base” thoughts that we wanted to think throughout our day. These thoughts were true and lovely and virtuous. As the day progressed there were plenty of things that sought to get me off track in my thinking. Critical, negative, even unbelieving thoughts sought to take up space and send me in an opposite direction than what I wanted to go. I had to re-take control all day long. Real discipline in thought is not easy, but it is profitable and peaceful.

Sometimes I feel like I am arguing with myself. I guess in a sense I am. Negative thinking corrupts your brain and triggers harmful mental states such as anxiety, moodiness, depression, and irritabilty. Unless I argue against these thoughts and replace them with better and higher thinking my life experience will be mostly negative. Most negative thinking patterns are simply bundles of lies that if examined could be exposed and replaced by true joy producing thoughts.

It will take time but I expect to think more joyful, hopeful, truthful thoughts from now on. I don’t want to steal my own joy by choosing to think incorrectly.

No comments: